In an effort to help the SAPS clamp down on smash and grab crimes, we encourage motorists to remain vigilant at all times. These criminals are very brazen. What used to be more of a night-time crime is now being committed in broad daylight at major intersections in peak hour traffic. The victims aren’t only women; men are also being targeted. This type of crime is very invasive and very traumatic.
To protect yourself, please take the following security tips to heart and share them with family and friends:
- Get off your cellphone, turn the radio down and have your wits about you when you approach an intersection or traffic light.
- Be extra vigilant at night.
- Take note of who is in the vicinity; on both sides of the road.
- Don’t be distracted by anyone.
- Don’t support or engage in conversation with “hawkers”, “window washers” or “beggars”.
- Keep your windows closed and the doors locked.
- Never have anything valuable in sight in the car and this includes your GPS!
- Smash and grab window protection is a valuable shield and greatly minimises the chances of them actually being able to smash through the window.
- If you are a victim, don’t ever try to pursue the criminals on their escape route.
- If you are a victim, REPORT IT!
HOTSPOTS (Released by the Gauteng Department of Community Safety):
- Pretoria Rd
- Eeufees Rd
- Cnr Eeufees and Christiaan De Wet
- Cnr Garsfontein Rd and N1 Freeway
- Cnr De Villebois Mareuil Dr and Garsfontein Rd
- Hans Strijdom Dr
- Cnr Garsfontein Rd and Philadelphia Rd
- Cnr Cussonia Ave and Meiring Naude Rd
- Cnr Cambridge Rd and Witkoppen Rd
- Witkoppen Rd
- William Nicol Dr and N1 Freeway
- Cnr Main and Witkoppen Rd
- Woodmead Ave
- Cnr Maxwell Dr and Witkoppen Rd
- Cnr Woodmead Rd and Woodlands Dr
- Cnr Rondebult Rd and Pretoria Rd
- Cnr Witkoppen Rd and Bowling Ave
- Cnr Main Rd and Robin Rd
- Cnr Main Rd and Sloane St
- Cnr Katherine St and Grayston Dr
- Cnr Marlboro Dr and South Way
- Cnr Harrow Rd and Hendon St
- Cnr Harrow Rd and Becket St
- Cnr Harrow Rd and Abel Rd
- Cnr Crownwood Rd and Amethist Rd
- Barry Hertzog Ave and Napier Rd
- Empire Rd
- Main Reef Rd
- Johanna St
- Commissioner St